Travel documents for kids

When travelling with your children, most likely you need to bring some additional travel documents. Make sure to check what applies to your family.

Which documents

Which travel documents you need to bring for your kids, depends on a couple of factors:

  • your country of departure, transfer, and destination;
  • your nationality;
  • your country of residence.

We advise checking the embassy website of the country you’re visiting. For detailed information suitable for your trip, check our travel documents tool.

Passport or ID card

Children of European Union citizens travelling from, to or via EU countries need to carry their own passport or ID card. Having their names entered in their parent’s passports is no longer permitted. This restriction does not apply to document holders of the United Kingdom or Ireland.

Is your child travelling alone, with only 1 parent or guardian, or with an adult that does not have parental authority? Before going through security control, you’ll have to complete a consent form.

Birth certificate

Does your child have a different last name than you? Please bring the family booklet or birth certificate to prove your connection.

Extra documents for specific destinations

You might need to bring various additional documents for your child for specific destinations. You’ll find detailed information about all destinations in our travel documents tool.